Tuesday 21 April 2009

Spare ribs recipe

I got this recipe for spare ribs from Video Jug HERE. A great site for getting ideas (there's a search button) and then seeing it cooked step-by-step.

I'm cooking the spare ribs for the second time and here's how it's done. I guarantee you won't be able to get enough of them.......simply scrumptilicious (is that a new word):

Take one and a half kilos (3 lbs) of spare ribs, put in saucepan with sliced up 5 cm ginger, cover with water, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 10 mins. Skim frequently.

Mix up

2 tbsp. each of BBQ sauce, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, crushed garlic, runny honey and brown sugar, plus 2 teasp. chopped ginger. Add 100 ml. dark sherry.

Drain the spare ribs and pat dry and into a pan with a little olive oil, brown the ribs on both sides.

Into a clean pan, put the spicy saucy mixture and simmer and stir for a minute or so. Transfer the ribs to this mixture and cook for 5 minutes....longer if you want, turning frequently. Personally, I didn't find that even cooking them for 15 minutes was long enough to make them succulent, so kept prodding them until I was satisfied. I guess it would depend on the quality of the ribs.

I'm serving them with noodles so that all those lovely juices can be soaked up. I'm not putting a picture up as they won't be on the plate long enough!

1 comment:

Antigonum Cajan said...

Nice blog. You must be one out
of every ten people who know
like MJQ, really, I used to.

Until then, from the Spanish
speaking Caribbean in English.

antigonum cajan